Featured Author - Julie Kavanagh

Julie Kavanagh lives in London with her husband, her grown up daughters and six rescue cats. She works in an Inner city school and has been writing for as long as she can remember and, despite modest success, a few years ago she gave it all up to concentrate on her family but now she's back with a vengeance and lots of wonderful tales to share.



Julie is a believer in the stranger things of life and can often be found sitting in the dark in a haunted house. Many of her weird experiences can be found within her stories, bringing a touch of fact to fiction. She loves to both hear and write ghost stories. Julie was kind enough to share her thoughts with me and this is what she had to say. 

Why do you write?
That’s an easy question to answer. If I didn’t write, I'm sure I’d go mad. I have voices whispering their stories in my head and if I don’t get them out on to paper or the computer screen, I think they will drive me crazy.

What is your favorite book and why?
My favorite book is The Stand by Stephen King. I love his characters and the reality he created. I have read it many times and each reading reveals something that I hadn’t spotted before.

What do you think is the easiest thing about writing? What is the most difficult?
The easiest thing about writing is the writing. On a good day, I can spend hours in my ‘writing’ worlds with my characters. As I said before, they talk to me and their conversations are what first starts a story for me. I often hear snippets of dialogue before I even ‘see’ the people involved.

The hardest aspect of writing is when I'm stuck and can’t think of anything else to write. It’s like a black cloud descending into my brain. I have to give up and walk away until the fog lifts.

From books that have already been published by other authors, which book do you wish you had written? 
I wish I had thought of the Black Dagger Brotherhood created by J R Ward. They are sexy, vampire warriors set in a town in New York State.  Each book contains the love story for each major character plus the complex relationships between the other members of the brotherhood. If you like sexy dark paranormal romance, these are the books for you.

How do you market your books?
I’m still learning about marketing and I study the other authors in the Bookstogonow family for methods and technique to further the knowledge of my stories. I use Facebook and author groups to publicize my work.  I work full time in a primary school as well as helping to care for my invalid mother so my time is limited. I have hired on a part time basis an assistant to help with marketing so I can get on with writing.

Any new release? If yes, what is it about?
My latest release is called ‘Nanna’s Naughty Noel’ and was inspired by another BTGN author, Manda Ward who writes romance stories for the slightly older members of society. I thought, why not? Why does age determine a love life? Gina is a recently divorced grandmother, spending the holidays at her daughter’s home when she meets a younger, sexy neighbor. Noel likes the look of Gina and wants to experience the thrill of seducing an older woman.

Book blurb
When Gina decides to spend the holidays with her daughter and family, she had no idea how an unexpected meeting with a younger man could lead to a steamy love affair. Noel is handsome, highly sexual and has fallen in passion with his best friend’s sexy Mother in Law. Newly divorced Gina decides to take a chance on a short lived passionate liaison with the good-looking man who makes no effort to disguise his desire for the beautiful Gina.

Book Excerpt

             “What color panties are you wearing?”                            
             “I'm sorry?” Gina looked up into eyes which wouldn’t have looked out of place in a cat’s face. Even the long dark lashes framing the green eyes gave a feline look to the young man who had moved to stand next to her. His hair was dark and longer than was fashionable but it seemed to give an air of devilment to his handsome face.
“You heard me,” he declared as a wicked smile crossed his lips.
“I thought you said…” Gina began, but paused when the man’s smile widened.
“I asked you what color your panties are.” He moved his head closer, his breath tickling the side of her neck. “Unless, of course, you’re not wearing any.”
“Are you joking?” Gina gasped, feeling the touch of his hand on her arm, a gentle stroking surely designed to put her at her ease.
“I never joke about colors,” he sighed. “Nor about panties. If you're not wearing any, you will make my day, but I suspect they are some kind of red. Am I right?”

You can also connect with Julie and read more about her:
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/juliekavanagh/boards/
Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Julie-Kavanagh/e/B0072O06A6/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0
Book Links: US   http://www.amazon.com/Nannas-Naughty-Noel-Julie-Kavanagh-ebook/dp/B00Q8U5GY6/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421619221&sr=1-1&keywords=nanna%27s+naughty+noel&pebp=1421619225672&peasin=B00Q8U5GY6
UK    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nannas-Naughty-Noel-Julie-Kavanagh-ebook/dp/B00Q8U5GY6/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421618103&sr=1-1&keywords=nanna%27s+naughty+noel


Comments

  1. Hi Julie,

    Nice interview. I totally agree about hearing the characters speaking to you. I love they sometimes take you to a place you hadn't planned on going with them.
    Chris Karlsen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Nanna's Naughty Noel. I think it's inspired me to write a naughty story myself ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the interview! It's nice to see we all share a common denominator. The characters become a part of us and allow us to tell their story. It's when they stop talking we have to worry. Keep up the good work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear more about your writing process, Julie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Featured Author: Amber Daulton

Featured Author: J.C. Hannigan

Featured Author - Margarita Felices