The Pemberley Chronicles - A Sweet Reminder of Jane Austen

I am sure I am not the only bookworm out there who craves the writing style of Jane Austen, Georgette Heyer, P.G. Wodehouse and other classic authors. Let's be real. While it's a treat to read the Ludlums, Grishams and Dan Browns of the world, the classics will always remain in a class of their own. Jason Bourne is all cool and sleek but would he have been created without Ian Fleming's James Bond? Would Grisham's legal thrillers be appealing if there had been no Perry Mason by Earl Stanley Gardner? And come on! We all know that the mushy romances of today would not even exist without the romantic works of Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, Emily Bronte  and Georgette Heyer.

The sad part however is that a large majority of people today have forgotten the look and feel of a pure classic. Wasn't it Jane Austen who once said, "the person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not had pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." Well said Ms. Austen! Anyway. That is another discussion altogether. For now, I just wanted to introduce The Pemberley Chronicles by Rebecca Ann Collins. It has been written as a sequel to the acclaimed Pride and Prejudice. I for one, have always wished that Pride & Prejudice would never conclude but alas, that is not possible. It was again Jane Austen who once said and I quote, "but for my own part, if a book is well written, I always find it too short."That is so true for Pride & Prejudice.

 Nevertheless, it did end and for years all I have done is read and reread this book. I don't know somehow I feel reading Pride & Prejudice every year gives me a new or a renewed perspective to life. According to Cliff Fadiman, "When you reread a classic, you do not see more in the book than you did before; you see more in you than there was before." That is seriously so true. For years now I have been searching for something even half as good.There is no doubt that Jane Austen will always be in a league of her own but after reading The Pemberley Chronicles, Austen fans will be able to relive the characters of Pride & Prejudice. Elizabeth Bennet is my all time favorite heroine and to read about her life after she marries Mr. Darcy is pure delight.

To think that I discovered these books so late! The series comprises of ten books and follows the lives of Elizabeth Bennett  and Mr. Darcy. Rebecca Collins has dedicated all her books to Jane Austen and I believe that Austen  has been her inspiration. Thus, for all you Jane Austen fans out there, The Pemberley Chronicles is not to be missed. Collins has been quite successful in carrying on the legacy of Austen and especially in an era like today where such books are so hard to find, The Pemberley Chronicles is beautifully written and is a breath of fresh air. So Austen fans, go ahead and pick up a copy. I guarantee you won't be disappointed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Featured Author: Amber Daulton

Featured Author - Nicholas Boving

Featured Author - J.R. Wirth